Friday, January 4, 2008

i skied in snow

I keep saying, "See ya next year" because I forget that the new year has already come and past. Most people look at me with major confusion, while the other 22 percent look at me like I'm a moron.

Being back from Utah makes me want to cry. Going back to the mountains and skiing would be the most exciting thing ever. Ever.

While skiing I learned a few new tricks. Trick number one: How to Break a Ski Pole. It's actually a lot easier than you think, plus you get to bring home an awesome souvenir. First, find a steep hill with moguls and lots of fresh powder. Next, ski down, almost all the way to the bottom. Finally, find one of those big bumps, get some speed, hit it, lose control and face plant into the side of the mountain. Then you're all set to ski the rest of the day with one and half ski poles.

I think I'm getting sick. Coughing, sneezing, achy, stopped up nose, tired, and weak. I'm going to say that's a cold. Darn, should've went to med school.

Trick number two: How to Fall Off a Ski Lift. Yet another simple trick to perform. This one actually takes place in front on a rather large crowd. It requires no experience but I myself have been waiting since 3rd grade to display this particular unique skill. Find a lift line with approximately 117 people waiting. Get two ski buddies and wait for your turn to load the chair. As you approach the waiting line, make sure the rest of the party is of center and pushing you toward the inside. As the chair approaches don't try to adjust yourself or the rest of skiers/boarders, simply half way sit on the chair. Then, tangle your skis with skier to your immediate right. As you struggle to sit upright while tangling your skis hang on for a short ride. Don't worry, it will be only a short one. As you're hanging on, allow the ski lift chair to reach a height of about 4 feet vertical and 35-40 horizontally further from the starting position. As this desired position is reached simply let go to end the struggle. As this happens you will fall into a blanket of fresh powder snow. People standing line will stare, your fellow ski lift riding partners will laugh, the guy loading skiers will treat you like a newbie, and you will feel like an idiot.

The Friday after my birthday on the way home to Mississippi for Christmas I got two more traffic tickets. One, driving without headlights. Two, failure to get a Texas driver's license. I should just park my car/truck/suv and bum rides everywhere.

Flying at 35,000 feet in a chair that doesn't recline is miserable. So in return I turned my ipod back on after the stewardist told me turn it off becaus we were landing.

How many days can an ant survive under water?

9 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

I've fallen off a ski lift too! But it was at the top and they had to stop the lift to help me get out because I got stuck under the chair. Two very good looking 20 year olds dragging me by the armpits and rolling their eyes at my clumsy ass. And yes, my friends got pictures. Great thing to have immortalized.

prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

I think I could actually do trick number two very easily. I'm also good at dropping ski poles while I'm riding the lift.
Glad you're back!

Steph said...

Now you've mastered the hard stuff,you should be a pro in no time.

Anonymous said...

The few times I have been snowboarding I have taken someone off the skilift with me on each and every run! I was not a popular girl on the ski hill!

Glad to see you back safe and sound!

The Clumsy Chatterbox said...

The only time I skied I had the cutest zip up pants (both sides). I slid down the mountain on my ass and was so disoriented at the bottom, I stood in line for the lift with my pants all the way down. I didn't even realize this until the cute skiers in front of me said, "Do you feel the cool breeze on your legs?

Love your skiing stories.

Mandy said...

lol - love the 2nd trick. In fact, I wish I had been there to witness it!

joen05 said...

Sounds like you had fun Matt, glad to hear it. I haven't skied in so long. Too long. But I want to go cruising first.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Wish I had been there to laugh at you. I mean, help you up.