Monday, July 30, 2007

scream, don't paddle

The rafting trip inspired me. I grew a beard. New Guy told me that I'm going to look like a man before too long. I hope he's right.

Friday was a long day. In Atlanta I've never gone so short a distance in so long of time. Except when I went to Houston. Why is it that old people don't listen to the radio when traveling in a car? Ten joyful radio free hours. I should have sang, then maybe something would have been turned on. Excitement did happen when we got lost. Then once the X on the map was found we were unable to enter our castle due to not knowing where the key was. That wasted a good hour and a half. I slept on a pull out couch that night, it was springy.

Saturday we attempted to conquer the mighty Chattooga. Fortunately for the river we had a self guided raft. I took my turn half way down and totally impressed the experienced guides. The guys being paid got stuck, I did not. I should quit my day job to become a guide. I'm serious and now have a beard to help further my dream. To see me not guiding click here. I'm in the front smiling and waving while not paddling.

Sunday was the longest day of my life. Not really, it still only lasted 24 hours. It began by being woken up by five chatter bugs. I did not talk for at least two hours that morning. The river had been waiting patiently for me all night. There was a guide in our raft this morning, lucky us. I wanted to throw the tall guy out of our boat. He chose the male guide over the super cute female. She's now my new crush, I don't know her name but do know she goes to Clemson. I was nervous, we watched Deliverance the night before. Way later in the trip I managed to impress the whole group again by doing a flip off the large jumping rock. The tall guy had to copy me in hopes to impress the super cutie he passed on. He failed.

I need to find the guy that was clipping his finger nails the other day. Mine are getting long.

After owning the river the fun part began. Ten hour drive back to Jackson, Mississippi. Once again, no radio. I was excited. Not really. I think Atlanta wanted to take a Sunday afternoon drive along with us. Nothing else exciting happened.

What is Europe's most mountainous country?

Last entry's answer was Steve Martin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switzerland?

whatagem said...

As a teen, Dad used to make me listen to Rush Limbaugh on Am radio on 30 minuet drives into town. ...And back home. I feel your pain!

Technodoll said...

Glad you survived the frothy river - you look happy, "beard" and all. Just don't go bragging back to Grizzly Adams, eh? LOL!

joen05 said...

Man, reading your entry made me realize how much I want to go rafting, and camping, for that matter. I have to go plan a trip now, and buy a tent.

Daszzle said...

YAY! You survived to live another work-filled day. (Sounds thrilling when put that way huh?)

On a side note I've recently been inspired to organize another white-water rafting trip- you may have some credit in that one.

DubLiMan said...

River rafting was one of my favorite family vacations; me, my wife and three kids....not kids anymore. OK, so I'm a little beyond your normal reader demographic, but I still like what you write. You may like my site, if you take fun and happiness as a serious matter.

Would you be interested in a link swap? Check out my site http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same.