Thursday, November 8, 2007

today is thursday at nasa

Everyone will spend the day with me at work.

6:50 Arrive to work. Other new employee seems very shocked that I'm at work at such an early time. I'm surprised that I'm at work this early.

6:52 Read past "Why Do Men Have Nipples" Daily Calendar posts from Saturday to Today. Learned how to deliver a baby, why men have hair on their ears, and if circumcision diminishes sexual pleasure.

6:58 Begin checking mail.

6:59 Begin deleting mail from 5 days ago.

7:08 Read new emails.

7:09 Check personal email (Gmail). New jacket has been shipped and the estimated time of arrival is November 13, 2007. I ordered this crap on October 27, 2007. I'm ticked. Apparently they got my nasty email and got scared. They gave me 1500 more rewards points for my order. They know what's up.

7:15 Read Mississippi newspaper online. Mississippi State talks a big game.

7:30 Check ESPN.com Kentucky gets upset in basketball.

7:45 Use restroom.

7:48 Stand around and listen to some fellow coworkers talk about something. I didn't listen that closely.

8:01 Sit at desk and begin this blog post.

8:20 Check Gmail.

8:23 Comment on Father Rob's blog. I didn't read anymore blogs. Haven't finished my Gatorade A.M. yet. Lots of chatter around the office. I buzz in a few times. Then I tell a joke and everyone laughs.

8:39 Almost froze my hand on one of those aerosol cleaning cans. The ones that blow air out to clean the keyboard. There's ice on it! Sweet! Now there's dust everywhere. Hope no one minds. If I explain why it gets cold will someone nominate me to be on Beauty and the Geek?

8:47 Found Suspenders and asked some random questions to make him think I've been working. We then took the elevator twice to advance one floor at time. He's sort of lazy.

8:59 Begin working on the new procedure that me and Suspenders discussed. There's a space suit test at 10. I'll probably go just to get out of this paper work.

9:13 The guy next to me showed a video of two monkeys sitting at a bar telling jokes. It was pretty funny except that I didn't get the punch line and laughed anyways.

9:39 Use restroom again. Gatorade really did a toll on me. Saw what seemed like a cute girl at the other end of the hall. Too far to tell for sure. I'll walk down there later.

9:42 Looking up New Zealand on Google. Really, really want to go. Delilah is talking about going and I'm thinking about going with her. She told me this on the phone last night. I couldn't sleep at all thinking about it.

10:08 My phone rang! No one ever calls this phone. Well I'm never sitting at my permanent desk anyway so I never get phone calls. I should sit at my permanent desk instead of this one. Test time got pushed back. Dang it.

10: 25 Check Gmail.

10:28 Check Facebook.

10:35 Check Gmail.

10:36 Drop in on a conversation in the office. They're talking about space suit gloves. I only half way pay attention while I work on my paper work.

10:39 Phone rang again! I'm on a roll today. Girl sitting at my other desk needs some help. I think that's code for she likes me.

10:52 Think I accidentally asked a guy at work to go to a Rockets game. I was asking if he had ever been and told him I was going next week. Somewhere in there he thought I was asking him if he wanted to go. I don't understand these Houston people. For a week I'm going to have to avoid him at all costs.

10:55 Check Gmail.

11:32 I'm hungry so I'll be eating now.

12:01 Read a blog I saw on cnn.com. In the New. Hope she doesn't mind if I link to it. Back to work.

12:21 Looked up pictures of J.K. Rowling. I had no idea what she looked like. Not bad for a 40 something.

12:31 I just got (or saw, who knows when I got it) a text from My Future Wife. She does love me. I bet she's all giddy and can't sit still.

1:00 Filled out some personal paper work. Mo money, mo problems.

1:32 Looked up Rockets tickets on craigslist.com. Utility Al called. He told me a secret about My Future Wife. I feel like I'm in high school again.

1:53 Finished with some paper work. Other new hire is reading a magazine and talking about it out loud to me. I'm not listening. She keeps telling me about events around Houston and I just nod and say I've been there done that or am already going. She's probably jealous of me right now.

2:23 Handed off my work to be reviewed and signed. It's policy here. 23 people have to sign off on anything that gets done. It's dumb, I know.

2:30 Made arrangements for Utility Al's wedding present. Hope he puts it to good use. Can't tell what it is, he might read ahead and spoil the surprise. Wonder what his mom will say about it?

2:48 Checked Gmail. Talked to Ex girlfriend on Gmail chat. Sent Ex girlfriend an forward.

2:52 Sent some forwards around the Outlook address book.

3:20 I tried to download a NASA instant message program but I got rejected. They probably want me to do more work and not chat. I've been figured out.

3:23 Yawn

3:35 I just daydreamed of a time when I was younger and wanted to buy a video game at the store. I didn't have enough money on my own and mom wouldn't buy it for me. That was a cloudy day.

3:56 Talked with another guy about the commute to work each day. His is a total of 14 minutes round trip. I take at least 35 minutes one way. The hardships I have to face living in downtown. It's tough being a high roller.

4:07 Think I'll head home now. I'm tired. Maybe I can beat the traffic. Doubt it.

Living the NASA life isn't so bad.

What's CNBC short for?

Last entry's answer was Joseph Stalin.

15 comments:

prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
d said...

haha, sounds like an eventful day, sir. BTW, love the addition of the music, if I added a playlist to mine, my friends would kill me.

Kathy said...

I think that's the longest blog you've ever written. But I enjoyed getting to spend a day at NASA.

Father Rob said...

Wow, I cant believe I read that whole thing. This is when you have to ask yourself who's a bigger loser, somebody that records their whole day or the person who takes the time to read it.

I'm going to say Corporate National Broadcasting Company. I know its wrong though because I looked it up (I wont cheat!)

Bella said...

Wow, you must be exhausted!

not.

:) Bella

BTW, I'm linking your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey you...

first... everytime I click on your website I chuckle at the picture... dont know why but it happens everytime!

SECOND: Um so you know I have a little NASA awe problem... why oh why would you tease nerdgirl and make it sound like we could actually go and SEE NASA not READ all about your day there... sad nerdgirl, sad nerdgirl... =)

Mandy said...

You sound as busy at your job as I am at mine...

Stephanie said...

Maybe you and Mandypoo could chat all day while the rest of us pull all the weight in the business world!

Mandy said...

Don't be jealous that we have gravy jobs, Steph. You HAD one, too. ;o)

joen05 said...

Nice live blogging, Matt. I should do one on my day. I check gmail about 50 times a day because I wait for comments on my blogs when I should be programming. lol.

Bella said...

When you go back to work, in addition to your live blogging, I've tagged you for a meme! Don't worry...it's quite simple!

:) Bella

? said...

It's policy here. 23 people have to sign off on anything that get done. It's dumb, I know.

Damn straight. The federal government wouldn't have it any other way. God forbid something gets done quickly.

But all in all, working for the feds = GOOD MONEY. I know this. Keep that NASA job, son.

Anonymous said...

12:21 Looked up pictures of J.K. Rowling. I had no idea what she looked like. Not bad for a 40 something.

This made me laugh out loud.

Amanda said...

dear god you have an easy job. i (apparently) had a misconception people who worked at nasa were busy busy busy...

thanks for the laugh. nice blog :)

Rahul said...

I thought Nasa was all- turn this key, turn that key, don't sit down.

I think that was on The simpsons once.