Sunday, November 4, 2007

football and church

I don't blog on weekends. Period. Sunday night doesn't count.

Saturday I played a little football with some guys I didn't know at all. It wasn't little football either, I'm calling it big football. For the first time ever I was half way shy. After the five series they suggested that I play quarterback. I told them I was All-State in Mississippi my senior year and only All-District my freshman year. I wasn't shy much longer. After throwing 4 touchdowns, running one, and zero interceptions they were believers. Except for my roommate. He threw a flag and called me out. I told him to shut up and I'd throw him an interception. I didn't.

Houston was the only city in America not to broadcast the Patriots vs Colts game. We were able to watch our beloved Texans and well below par Raiders team play. Instead, I fell asleep in an awkward position and woke up with a sore neck for the third time in a week.

This morning I went to a new church. They had communion and I was slightly nervous. I've never had to leave my seat while doing this. It was a Methodist church, I'm not a Methodist. When it was my pew's turn to go I was even more nervous because I noticed that all the pews behind me were empty and the people were leaving the sanctuary. Where is everyone going? Are we leaving to get dessert? Then it hit me, those people are going to the balcony. I dodged a bullet.

Hooter's on Friday night was a horrible experience. I will not be going back for a long time.

My spacewalk shift was canceled on Saturday morning. I celebrated by sleeping in, playing football, watching football, and eating Chick-fil-A. Bama lost!

Tomorrow I'm going back to college for three days. I'm getting AutoCAD training!

Harry: Skis, huh?
Beth: That's right!
Harry: Great! They yours?
Beth: Uh-huh.
Harry: Both of 'em?
Beth: Yes.
Harry: Ah... cool!
-Dumb and Dumber

How many football teams play in the Big Ten Conference?

Last entry's answer was The Harlem Globetrotters.

12 comments:

Kathy said...

Matt, did you have to include that "Bama lost" comment? I hope next weekend I can say "Bama won!"

Father Rob said...

Thats weird, I went to a Methodist church this weekend too and they had communion. Its a strange experience to walk up in front of everyone and kneel at what looks like a fence at the front. I didnt get a chance to "dodge the bullet." I like eating my cracker and grape juice sitting down.

I'm going to guess 28 teams

Mandy said...

We Baptist take communion in our pews...It's a better arrangement, I think.

prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You should try Microstation instead. It's a more powerful program and is more user friendly than AutoCAD.

The Journey has communion like that also. Are they Baptist?

Katie said there is a big tv we can roll into the groom's room so we can watch the State and Bama game. I'll have to round up an antenna though. Bring your cowbell. And we're having McAlister's for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I think you should go to a Greek Orthodox church next time- you'll freak. lol.

laura rayburn said...

Methodist churches typically have communion at the beginning of each month (except maybe December...and then it's on Christmas Eve).

Anonymous said...

I like Jesus and all, but I don't feel comfortable eating him.
I do like, however, that the paragraph on Hooters followed the one on communion.

Rahul said...

Wait someone said Journey has communion too?

I thought they just sing songs.

Aint nothing wrong with edible Jesus.

Mr and Mrs Knutzen said...

Us Catholics rock...we get real wine with communion! I have no problem with edible Jesus as long as I get my alcohol to wash him down! :)

matt said...

Kathy - Don't hold your breath.

Poo - I agree. Kneeling and eating, nah.

Prin - Thanks for that link, I was curious.

Crazy - Will you come with me? I always love going with hot girls. Is that wrong?

lrybrn - I miss you.

Martini - I didn't like Hooters that night.

rs - What?

206 - I don't know what to say.

laura rayburn said...

matt - I miss you too.