Tuesday, August 21, 2007

lead foot

Houston is taking some getting use to. I'm from Small Town, Mississippi which has two red lights in the whole town. Houston itself is bigger than the entire state of Mississippi. Well, almost, maybe not, it could be. Yesterday a wreck on NASA 1, which I personally think is the worst highway in Texas as far as traffic is concerned, slowed me up and made the drive home much longer. I did manage to win the race home against the roommate. Today there were two wrecks on the interstate heading into downtown. That commotion double my drive home time compared to yesterday. Me 1, roommate 1. I'm going to own him tomorrow.

Today's Starbucks adventure ends on a crappy note. I stumble into the lobby to find that the machine is fully stocked with everything and is ready to produce some delicious brand name coffee. There are no cups. I look in every drawer, shelf, and cabinet. The guy in the Michigan shirt saw my temper flair as I threw the pool balls and cue. Ok, I made that up, there was no throwing except in my mind.

I really work at NASA.

I was beginning to doubt the intelligence of Carlos, the facility maintenance man. A request was put in for him to fix our ice maker. I turned the ice maker off because it was leaking water, what any normal person with common sense would do. His maintenance report yesterday was that there was no leak and everything looked fine. Carlos! I'm not going to leave it on to flood my apartment. Where's your head at? He did manage to fix the problem today. We have a new fridge and the doors open in the opposite direction now. Thanks Carlos.

Going back to the wreck traffic on the interstate. Pedro in the pick up truck directly in front of me must have paid the DMV off for his license or either he has a solid lead foot. Heavy on the gas, heavy on the brake. Heavy on the gas, heavy on the brake. Its bumper to bumper traffic. Take it easy Pedro.

Good news, I'm already lined up to travel for the new job. Watch out Baltimore, here I come! I'm staying in the second nicest hotel ever. Thanks new job.

What was the biggest city in America until 1755?

Last entry's answer was green.

11 comments:

Daszzle said...

Baltimore eh? You'll be in my neighborhood... you should definitely check out Fells Point if you're looking for a good haunted pub crawl—Or just to get drunk

Daszzle said...

P.S. My vote is for Philadelphia

prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joen05 said...

Nice, my drive to work is pretty easy, but I don't have a car. So I should say the ride I get to work. Man I wish I had a car.

Technodoll said...

Now you know why ladies carry purses... to keep handy thinks like coffee cups handy. and tissues. and mace. "you never know" :-D Oh and you know what they say... lead foot, heavy heart. or sumting like that.

Kay said...

Emu eggs are green? Really? I should have known -- isn't green your favorite color?

New trivia answer: Philly

So you're coming to Baltimore? I went to college there. I think you know my feelings on Baltimore -- just check my last post. But if you're a small-town person, you probably won't find it as obnoxious as I do. I'm going to second the endorsement for Fells Point. Have fun!

prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
prin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've never been to Baltimore, but I do enjoy hotels, especially nice ones. Make sure to steal all the fancy shampoos and soaps.
Are you in a cubicle in this new job or do you actually have a real office?
And we've yet to be privy to the details of any unusual coworkers you've encountered yet!

Kathy said...

I will say Boston.
Maybe you could take your own coffee mug with you tomorrow morning.

Test said...

Hi, thanks for the comment! Your blog is great!

Btw - sorry about that commute... :)